Tips on How to Have a Pet-Friendly Valentine’s Day

how to have a pet-friendly Valentine's Day

Each year, there’s a rise in toxic poisoning cases in pets around February 14 according to poison control experts. Therefore, we have put together a few helpful tips on how to have a pet-friendly Valentine’s Day.

How to Have a Pet-Friendly Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day can be as much fun for pets as it is for humans if  you keep dangerous foods, flora and other items out of paws’ reach. The following are just a few tips on how to have a pet-friendly Valentine’s Day:

Pet-Safe Bouquets

how to have a pet-friendly Valentine's Day

Many pet owners are unaware that all species of lily are potentially fatal to cats. If you’re sending someone a floral arrangement to someone who has a cat, make sure the arrangement doesn’t contain lilies. Conversely, if you are a cat owner who is the recipient of a floral arrangement, make sure to sift through and remove all dangerous flora. If your cat is suffering from symptoms such as stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, he or she may have ingested an offending flower or plant. Contact your vet here at All Pets if notice any of these symptoms.

Additionally, while roses aren’t toxic, the thorns can cause problems. Biting, stepping on or swallowing the sharp, woody spines can cause serious infection if a puncture occurs.

Valentine Candy & Chocolate

Chocolate is the top danger at Valentine’s for pets, especially dark chocolate and truffles-type candy. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which can both speed up the heart rate and in high enough concentrations, cause vomiting, diarrhea or even death.

Another potential hazard is gum or candy sweetened with sugar substitute xylitol. Xylitol can cause a relatively sudden drop in blood sugar (known as hypoglycemia). This can result in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. If you suspect your pet may have eaten products containing any of these harmful ingredients, please contact your veterinarian at All Pets immediately.

Drinks Containing Alcohol

Spilled wine, half a glass of champagne, some leftover liquor are nothing to fret over until a curious pet laps them up. Animals are much smaller than humans, which means even just a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm. Dogs and cats who ingest alcohol may experience the following:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • lack of coordination
  • central nervous system depression
  • tremors
  • difficulty breathing
  • metabolic disturbances
  • coma

Potentially fatal respiratory failure can also occur if your pet ingests a large amount. If you believe your pet has ingested alcohol, contact your vet at All Pets immediately.

Unattended Candles

While it may be nice to set your evening a-glow with candlelight, make sure to put out the fire when you leave the room.

Pawing kittens and pups can burn themselves or cause a fire by knocking over unattended candles.


These are just a few tips on how to have a pet-friendly Valentine’s Day. Contact us at All Pets with the link below for more information or to schedule an appointment with your vet today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *